Are you concerned that you or a loved one may have a personality disorder? Unfortunately, personality disorders are more common than you think.
According to the American Psychiatric Association, about 9% of all adults in the United States are diagnosed with at least one personality disorder. That’s roughly 23 million people struggling with a mental health concern that’s challenging to live with.
So what do you do if you believe you or a loved one has a personality disorder?
First, you must understand the underlying causes of personality disorders, what they are, and what steps you can take to regain control of your life rather than your symptoms. To better understand your symptoms and get the help you need, it’s a good idea to research mental health facilities in San Diego or wherever you live. That’s where BOLD Health comes in.
At BOLD Health, we provide evidence-based treatments proven to alleviate the challenging symptoms of personality disorders. We can help you navigate your symptoms and curate a treatment plan at our welcoming facility in Encinitas or anywhere in California via telehealth.
What are Personality Disorders?
A large part of your personality is defined by how you behave, think, and feel. It’s influenced by various factors, including your environment, life experiences, and characteristics inherited in your genetics.
If your way of feeling, thinking, and behaving causes distress to yourself or others, you may have a personality disorder. And without proper treatment, you’re in jeopardy of your personality disorder negatively impacting your life long-term.
Personality disorders affect the following areas:
- Behavior control
- Emotional response
- Relating to people
- Negative thinking patterns
Types of Personality Disorders
You may think you can’t possibly have a personality disorder, thinking, “Isn’t that something I would know?” Unfortunately, the answer is no. This is a common misconception that often leads to more mental health problems down the road. Many people struggle to understand personality disorders and may not even realize they have one.
But don’t worry. There is hope.
Diagnosing a personality disorder on your own is extremely difficult. It requires a team of experienced mental health professionals to provide specific evaluations and conclusions. As one of the leading mental health facilities in San Diego, we can help you with this at BOLD Health.
There are several types of personality disorders, including the following:
- Dependent personality disorder: a pattern of submissive and clingy behavior and the need to be taken care of and supervised
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: a need for perfection, control, and a preoccupation with orderliness and organization.
- Borderline personality disorder: the tendency to have a poor self-image and struggles with impulsivity; often struggles with instability in personal relationships
- Histrionic personality disorder: a pattern of attention seeking and excessive emotions and may be uncomfortable and unstable when they are not the center of attention
- Antisocial personality disorder: often violates or disregards the rights of others; struggles with conforming to social norms
- Narcissistic personality disorder: exhibits a lack of empathy for others and craves admiration from others; may have an overwhelming sense of self-importance
- Paranoid personality disorder: suspicious of others, often seeing others as dangerous, mean, or spiteful
- Schizotypal personality disorder: a pattern of being extremely uncomfortable in close relationships; eccentric behavior; distorted thinking
- Schizoid personality disorder: expresses little emotion and is detached from social relationships
What Are the Treatments for Personality Disorders?
It’s crucial to understand that personality disorders are challenging to treat. But that doesn’t mean it’s not possible. Our team of clinicians at BOLD Health knows what to look for and will develop the best course of treatment for your individual needs.
Our treatments for personality disorders can help you overcome the challenges you may face in your everyday life. Whether you need therapy, medication management, or a more rigorous treatment program like our intensive outpatient program (San Diego IOP), we’re here for you every step of the way.
Certain types of psychotherapy have been proven to be highly effective in treating personality disorders. When you partner with BOLD Health, you will learn about your disorder, the underlying causes, and how to handle the challenging behaviors and emotions you experience.
Psychotherapy can help you understand the effects of your behavior and teach you how to manage and cope with your symptoms. Again, treatments for personality disorders can be challenging since these mental health concerns are often tricky and complex.
But we can help.
Your specific treatment will depend on the severity of your disorder, needs, and individual situation.
There are several psychotherapy treatments for personality disorders, but at BOLD Health, we use only science-backed, evidence-based therapeutic approaches, including:
- Psychodynamic therapy: the idea that adult patterns of negative behavior are related to negative, early childhood experiences
- Psychoeducation: the education and teaching of the individual and family members about their diagnosis, ways of coping, and treatment
BOLD Health Therapeutic Treatments
When you seek help at BOLD Health, your treatment program is created specifically for you and your needs. You will experience an individualized treatment approach focusing on you and only you. Rest assured, throughout your customized treatment program, you will be diagnosed and monitored by some of the most highly qualified doctors in San Diego.
We stick to only evidence-based treatments backed by research and proven effectiveness. When general clinicians and therapy aren’t enough, our well-equipped team provides you and your loved ones with the proper support.
If you and your clinician believe our San Diego IOP will suit your needs best, you’ll benefit from our 10-week treatment plan incorporating both group and individual therapy sessions in a relaxing, uplifting environment. And if you need medication management, because we are a physician-owned and operated mental health facility in San Diego, we have you covered there, too.
Partner with BOLD Health for High-Quality Personality Disorder Treatment in San Diego
At BOLD Health, we take the necessary precautions and steps to coordinate the best possible program for you by understanding your specific needs. When you come to us for any mental health concern, including personality disorders, we ensure to thoroughly understand your genetic, structural, biological, and medical history that influences your mental health.
We have built a solid reputation for outpatient mental health care in San Diego. Whether through our San Diego IOP or other therapeutic options, we will help relieve your symptoms and arm you with the tools and strategies you need to live a happier, more fulfilling life.
You deserve freedom from your personality disorders, and we are more than happy to support and guide you toward recovery.